Latest News:

 

Meet Avantika my real life soul mate: Imran Khan (Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na) - Star Interview!

For his first film which is about a group of 20-somethings on a high in life, Imran Khan not only borrowed elements from his own life, he also borrowed his own clothes to dress up his characters.

"Doing Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na came very easily to me. My director Abbas Tyrewala would even make me wear some of my own clothes. Abbas would see me saunter in a teeshirt and say, 'Hey that would go well with my film."

If you expect a nervous 20-something waiting for the release of his film, then Imran Khan surprises you.

His candour and confidence and even his speech pattern are very Aamir Khan.

Yup, Imran is a chip off the old block, though not a very chirpy chip.

"I'm not shy but I take time to get comfortable with people. I've very few friends, and they've been with me for years. These are people who serve as a reality check. My friends keep me grounded. I was happy letting Aamir Maamu do all the speaking.

I also knew people would start making comparisons between us regardless of whether we were seen together or not. When the comparisons are inevitable what's the point worrying about it? I'd rather worry about things that are in my hands. I really appreciate Aamir's support, though."

How much does Imran depend on Aamir for advice?

" On a personal level we're extremely close. Yes he's my uncle and I'm proud of that. But we don't discuss each other's work besides Jaane Tu….We in our family have always been very good at separating the personal from the professional.

He has always been a great believer in letting every one he loves find his own path. He always tells me to make my decisions about which films to do."

For some time now Aamir has been doing all the talking for Imran. "I wanted the film to speak for me before I did. Now that people know what's in store in Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na I feel more relaxed talking about the film. Though I'm still uncomfortable talking about myself."

Like Aamir, Imran wanted to be a director to begin with. "Yes, that's why I can look at my film objectively. I was 22 and immature when I wanted to be a director. Now I feel I'm not ready for direction yet.

Thank God Jaane Tu… came into my life. It happened when I went to Hindi classes with Neena Mehta when I was still in school. Many years later her daughter Pakhi was the casting director of Jaane Tu…She's now Abbas Tyrewala's wife.

Pakhi's mother remembered me and recommended me. Ya, I'd have gone on with my directorial plans if Jaane Tu.. had not happened.

I'd have probably made a dark film at that point of time. But having spent so many years in the film industry my tastes have gotten more commercial."

Like Aamir, Imran believes commercial films can be intelligent. "Where and how did we decide intelligent films can't be commercial?

I do believe at the end of the day we've to sell tickets in theatres. And for that we need to make the audiences feel good about a film. Given those parameters it's our duty to do something innovative."

Imran already has two other films on the floors. "Shibani Bhatija who wrote Karan Johar's Kabhi Alvidaa Na Kehna and his new film wrote Kidnap which I'm doing. It's an exceptional script.

My character was so interesting and attractive and a challenge for me because it's completely different from Jaane Tu….It required me to stretch myself as an actor.

It took me very far away from my comfort zone.Then there's Luck which takes me to another zone. Though I can identify with the character it's very demanding film physically.

I'll come out of Luck with a lot of bruises. It's a very outdoor film. And I am very athletic, " says the 5 foot 11 inch high hero-in-waiting.

Imran is seen very unselfconsciously in public with his girlfriend "I feel whoever you are in a relationship with, needs to feel like an important part of your life. The soul mate is very important support system. I'm glad to have her by my side."

He then adds, "People wrongly feel if a male actor is attached his career suffers. "Shah Rukh, Aamir Mamu, Hrithik all came into the industry attached. Finally it's only your work that the audience looks at."

Surprisingly Imran isn't daunted by the hype that's created by his debut film. "As the release gets closer I feel the hype building up. So far the nervousness hasn't hit me.

Closer to July 4, I suspect it will happen. I wonder if I can live up to all the expectations! Again, entirely out of my hands. I've seen Jaane Tu… dozens and dozens of times.

I've done whatever I could do. More than my happiness my director Abbas Tyrewala, Mansoor Khan and Aamir Mamu are happy. But I can see only the glaring flaws. But Aamir and Abbas are happy. So I'm going by their judgement."

Commenting on the competition on July 4 with Harman Baweja Imran sighs, "I wonder where such talk comes from! Filmmaking is not a marathon race where only one person wins.

For one film to be success it isn't necessary for the other to fail.It's all about whether the films are liked by the audience or not. And who says only one film can do well?"

Imran describes himself as fairly reserved in real life. "I put a lot of thought into what I do. I don't move forward until I'm completely happy with it. And I'm happy with the way things are going for me."


Please comment if you like this post!
An AwaazBandh Presentation!

Digg It! Add to del.icio.us Stumble This

Posted in Labels: |

0 comments: